Battery Terminal Clamp Replacement DIY (Any Vehicle) – EASY

LarryB’s Battery Cable Repair Kit –
Battery Clamp:
OTC Ball Joint Press:
Today I will show you how to replace your battery terminal clamps on your vehicle! The clamps that I used in the video are the crimp on style clamps, so the install is very easy and anyone can do it!

The vehicle that was being fix in the video is a ’98 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins, but this process should word for most vehicles!!

My clamps were in very bad shape, as in cracking, corrosion, and you could not tighten them up any longer. By doing this fix, it will really help your vehicle take a better charge from the alternator, and also will help your vehicle start when it is cold out!

If you have a 94-09 Dodge Cummins, here is the kit I used:

Disclaimer:
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL
Due to factors beyond the control of myself, I cannot guarantee against improper use or unauthorized modifications of this information. I assume no liability for property damage or injury incurred as a result of any of the information contained in this video. Use this information at your own risk. I recommend safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. Due to factors beyond the control of myself, no information contained in this video shall create any expressed or implied warranty or guarantee of any particular result. Any injury, damage, or loss that may result from improper use of these tools, equipment, or from the information contained in this video is the sole responsibility of the user and not Jake.

Xem thêm bài viết khác: https://baovnexpress.com/cong-nghe

• I can't help but think you're scattering tons of tiny copper shards all over your engine.

Michael Shumer May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Great job. Step by step.

ML Ramos May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Is there any adaptor to extend side post battery bolt? I heard of a very small vice grip on positive post. I hook up negative jumper cable on trunk hook. There should be some extention.
    My battery is in the trunk. Saturn Ion.

David Weum May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Yes, there is a special tool for cutting a battery cable. It's called a . . . cable cutter.

I just bought a good one yesterday at Lowe's Hardware for $7, plus tax. All the other cable cutters ranged from $18 to $32. The pricier ones had a nicer finish, but that was it.

And I bought a foot of cable to practice with. I got to chatting with the clerk, a nice, young, African American guy, at university. He said, "I'll give you a little extra."

He cut off 5 feet of cable, and wrote 1 foot on the tag! So I only paid for 1 foot.

Anthony Starfield May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Great video!

Link for the pipe cutter?

thegrave2000 May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • You might want to saturate your bare copper cable with red anti corrosion protectant before crimping in addition to your dielectric grease. I've used that for years and it works great.

Audrey Malerich May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Most important question, did it solve your issue??

cpotter1565 May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • I used a little copper hold down like you used to hold the connector. I cleaned it up cut it and placed around my battery post . then I put the cable back on and it really tightened up on the post.

Ralph Mastriani May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Just came upon your site, in that I'm thinking of changing out my Motorhome batteries as well. I've got 4 golf cart 6V batteries, thinking of going with AGM this time. Wondering if I should add two more ( lovy.biz/zrsy ) as I have a residential fridge that tends to pull out many Ah's from my system. I'm new to this lifestyle, so a ton to learn…nothing for wifi or cell boosting yet, so as I say, lots to learn.

Omar Al-mamry May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Dude die electric greAse stops electric flow!

Aaron Brown May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • I feel grateful this reconditioning program ( Check Details Here>>>t.co/ptmgz4VCaH ) was started. I had Three dead batteries scheduled for disposing of. Having said that, I tried out reconditioning them and it took me only an hour to do it! It doesn`t matter what type of battery you want, the process works.

Erin Kourelis May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • I would have used a hacksaw instead of a saws-all.

Scott Z May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • This has to be the worst way Ive ever seen this done. Idea wise ya good upgrades but you made this a lot harder than it really is.

Jon Perez May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • How about you go out and get yourself a hydraulic crimped and do it right

John Bladykas May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Is that a breather tube coming up off your crankcase canister?

Kevin Dougherty May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Put felt anti corrosion washers under the battery terminals and spray coat the battery terminals with battery terminal protection spray after assembly. These steps will prolong the life of the terminals.

Sheri Schneider May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • The original clamps are almost always best unless they are broken. You can refurbish your clamps by; 1) Removing the bolt (sometimes it is best to cut the bolt in the middle with a hacksaw) and cut a bit out where the sides of the clamp meet using a very sharp knife or razor blade. 2) Enlarge the battery bolt hole slightly with a large round wood file if needed 3) Clean off any corrosion by soaking the clamps in a mix of warm baking soda and water. 4) Clean the top of the battery and the case with warm baking soda and water and wiping it dry. 5) Grease and install a new battery bolt that has a special nut made for battery clamps. 6) Clean the clamp and the battery terminail with a blade type battery terminal cleaner. 7) Install anti corrosion washers on the battery and install and tighten battery terminals. 8) Spray battery terminal protector on each battery post.
    This will renew and protect your battery terminals for a long time and make your next battery replacement much easier.

Sheri Schneider May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • I don't think you should use dielectric grease between the contacts of the wire and the crimp on terminal. Dielectric grease is an insulator!!! You should do a clean crimp no grease, attach everything, then grease it from the outside only. Never grease electrical contact points.

Eng Dude May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • A large C-clamp will work in place of a ball joint press

Jim V May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • How bout using a bolt cutter??

doctor jones May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Well done Jake; smart looking crimp.

curtzblues May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Just did this getting the No Bus On my dash check my grounds and moved the cables around can’t figure it out please help

AnthonyMP Jr. May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • Good video! Subbed! I’m doing this to my 3rd Gen Cummins

RollinCoalRowling May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply
  • I have one corroded terminal from a battery lead. Tempted to do this.

Calquon May 3, 2020 6:41 am Reply